Forums

Html Validator and HTMLpedia forums
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:44 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Stopped working with Firefox 49
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:35 pm 

I have used HTML Validator plugin for Firefox for years, originally in 32-bit Windows XP, now in 64-bit Windows 7. It worked fine until the buggy Firefox 49.0.1 was released. That had a number of serious issues, including intermittently not starting up, that its developers have started to fix in Firefox 49.0.2. Firefox 49.0.2 now starts up OK but, like Firefox 49.0.1 did, it causes HTML Validator to crash on startup. The icon is greyed out and it routes to the error page, "HTML Validator extension: FATAL ERROR : The dynamic C library contained in the extension file could not be found".

Because of the errors with Firefox 49.0.1, I reverted to Firefox 48.9.x and HTML Validator worked again with no other intervention. As soon as I upgraded to 49.0.2, it crashes again, so there is clearly some incompatibility specifically between HTML Validator 0.9.7.4 and Firefox 49.0.*. The release notes advise that the APIs for plug-ins were being changed, so that is highly likely to be the reason. Just to confirm, the C++ library needed is stil linstalled, it just can't be found by the plugin from within Firefox 49.0.*, whereas it could from Firefox 48.0.* and before.

The error log is shown below - I have deliberately inserted blank lines either side of the information referred to in the web error page.

If the Firefox plug-in API has now changed to be incompatible with HTML Validator, please fix HTML Validator to use the new API so it works again. Thank you.

Could not read chrome manifest 'file:///C:/Program%20Files/Mozilla%20Firefox/chrome.manifest'.
** Preference parsing warning (line 37) = preserving unexpected JS escape sequence **

** Preference parsing warning (line 39) = preserving unexpected JS escape sequence **
** Preference parsing warning (line 82) = preserving unexpected JS escape sequence **

** Preference parsing warning (line 5) = preserving unexpected JS escape sequence **
** Preference parsing warning (line 18) = preserving unexpected JS escape sequence **
1477008643088 addons.webextension.firefox@ghostery.com WARN Loading extension 'firefox@ghostery.com': Reading manifest: Error processing background.persistent: Event pages are not currently supported. This will run as a persistent background page.
1477008643095 addons.webextension.firefox@ghostery.com WARN Loading extension 'firefox@ghostery.com': Reading manifest: Error processing author: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.
1477008643095 addons.webextension.firefox@ghostery.com WARN Loading extension 'firefox@ghostery.com': Reading manifest: Error processing version_name: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.
1477008643095 addons.webextension.firefox@ghostery.com WARN Loading extension 'firefox@ghostery.com': Reading manifest: Error processing options_page: An unexpected property was found in the WebExtension manifest.
1477008643211 addons.webextension.firefox@ghostery.com WARN Please specify whether you want browser_style or not in your browser_action options.
not well-formedmessages.json:1:1
In add-on firefox@ghostery.com, attempting to use listener "tabs.onReplaced", which is unimplemented.Extension.jsm:599:89
not well-formedclick2play.json:1:1
not well-formedsurrogates.json:1:1

Tidy: Can not load 32 bit library C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\q0lrde5j.default\extensions\{3b56bcc7-54e5-44a2-9b44-66c3ef58c13e}\components\nstidy.dll
tidyLib.js:61
Tidy: Can not load the DYNAMIC LIBRARY in user profile: C:\Users\Kevin\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\q0lrde5j.default\extensions\{3b56bcc7-54e5-44a2-9b44-66c3ef58c13e}\components\nstidy64.dll
tidyLib.js:70
Tidy: Can not load the DYNAMIC LIBRARY
tidyUtil.js:210

[ABE WAN] Detected WAN IP 81.174.151.210
The character encoding of a framed document was not declared. The document may appear different if viewed without the document framing it.banner.html
Warning: 'nsIOService::NewChannel()' deprecated, please use 'nsIOService::NewChannel2()'tidyBrowser.js:684:18
Tidy Exception: TypeError: this.tidy is null
Stack trace:
TidyUtil.prototype.translation@chrome://tidy/content/tidyUtil.js:845:1
TidyBrowser.prototype.validateCacheHtml@chrome://tidy/content/tidyBrowser.js:765:5
TidyBrowser.prototype.validateDoc@chrome://tidy/content/tidyBrowser.js:929:13
TidyBrowser.prototype.validateCache@chrome://tidy/content/tidyBrowser.js:901:7
onTidyPageLoad@chrome://tidy/content/tidyBrowser.js:161:7
/ Stack: TidyUtil.prototype.translation@chrome://tidy/content/tidyUtil.js:845:1
TidyBrowser.prototype.validateCacheHtml@chrome://tidy/content/tidyBrowser.js:765:5
tidyUtil.js:56
Warning: 'nsIOService::NewChannel()' deprecated, please use 'nsIOService::NewChannel2()'tidyBrowser.js:684:18
Stack trace:
Stack trace:
"TabSources.prototype._fetchSourceMap threw an exception: [Exception... "Failed to open input source 'resource://gre/modules/ExtensionContent.jsm%20-%3E%20moz-extension://9e3d7d09-8884-4b38-8c32-16de2ba44db8/dist/ghostery.js.map'" nsresult: "0x80520012 (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)" location: "JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/shared/DevToolsUtils.js :: mainThreadFetch :: line 499" data: yes]
Stack: mainThreadFetch@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/shared/DevToolsUtils.js:499:5
TabSources.prototype._fetchSourceMap@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/utils/TabSources.js:467:20
TabSources.prototype.fetchSourceMap@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/utils/TabSources.js:420:18
TabSources.prototype._createSourceMappedActors@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/utils/TabSources.js:370:12
TabSources.prototype.createSourceActors@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/utils/TabSources.js:392:12
ThreadActor<._discoverSources/<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/script.js:1331:14
ThreadActor<._discoverSources@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/script.js:1330:16
ThreadActor<.onSources@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/actors/script.js:1336:12
DSC_onPacket@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/server/main.js:1683:15
LocalDebuggerTransport.prototype.send/<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/shared/transport/transport.js:569:13
exports.makeInfallible/<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/shared/ThreadSafeDevToolsUtils.js:101:14
exports.makeInfallible/<@resource://gre/modules/commonjs/toolkit/loader.js -> resource://devtools/shared/ThreadSafeDevToolsUtils.js:101:14
Line: 499, column: 0"ThreadSafeDevToolsUtils.js:80
The Web Console logging API (console.log, console.info, console.warn, console.error) has been disabled by a script on this page.

Post subject: Re: Stopped working with Firefox 49
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:17 pm 

I found the links to the beta versions after much hunting and have also tried HTML Validator 0.9.7.6 beta. That suffers exactly the same failure.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:14 am 

I have been suffering under the same problem for months and saw no other way to avoid the constant error message after FF startup than to delete the Html Validator add-on although I used to apply it regularly and actually need it again urgently.

I must admit that although I am neither a complete dummy nor anything near an expert I simply don't know what to do with the error message page that keeps telling me about the "FATAL ERROR : The dynamic C library contained in the extension file could not be found." In fact I can't even follow the first instruction ("Go to Menu Firefox / Web-Developer / Error console") since there is no such Error console or any similar entry under "Web-Entwickler" ...

My PC is a Win 10 64-bit system, Firefox Portable 49.0.2, everything up-to-date, and after I installed 0.975 beta today, I was really disappointed to find out that nothing seems to have been changed regarding this bug or whatever it is.

Please let me know what I must do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:16 pm 

Update: no improvements with Firefox 50.0 and Win10-x64 1607 (Build 14393.447).
At least everything works still fine on my other machines with Firefox 50.0 and Win10 32 1607 (Build 14393.447).
Still hoping for some response here ...
----------------------------------------
Update: no improvements with Firefox 50.1.0 and Win10-x64 1607 (Build 14393.576).
Everything still fine with Firefox 50.1.0 and Win10 32 1607 (Build 14393.576).